Skip to main content

News and Notes




I signed a lease! And I'm having some serious anxiety about it. I don't have any issues with moving, clearly. I'm practically a professional mover. But I love my current place and don't really want to leave it. But the new place is much more practical and convenient - closer to work, closer to run, a great gym, lots of closet space, less money, etc. For those of you keeping track, it was #3 on my list.

I looked at three complexes last week (not the three I blogged about) and settled on this one. It was the first one I had seen. The second one, while right next to one of my favorite restaurants (Local Foods), was the most expensive but just looked old. The third one was amazing. The apartment itself was huge and updated. But it took me 25 minutes to get there and as I was being shown around they kept mentioning fees that would be added onto the rent. No go.

After I signed the lease someone told me they thought it wasn't a good idea...they knew someone who used to live there and they had been burglarized while there. But let's be real. This is Houston. I checked the crime report for the complex for the last few months and it had way less occurrences then where I currently live. It was just theft/robbery while my current neighborhood showed much worse things, like aggravated assault. And let's face it. I've already had an apartment broken into and been robbed at gunpoint and now this thing that happened at work yesterday (more on that later). I think I'll be ok.

Now I'm just waiting for the apartment complex to tell me that I am approved - actually I am surprised it is taking this long and wish they would just call back already. There's no reason I shouldn't be approved. The last time I signed a lease, I was approved while I sat there waiting, but this place uses an outside company yada yada yada. Also, on Monday I emailed my agent at umovefree.com to find out what the next step is...still waiting to hear back from her, which is weird bc while I was looking she would call once a week and respond right away to emails. Now that I've signed, crickets. Hopefully it's just bc we're still waiting on the approval. 



I think I'm going home for a short vacation in the middle of August! And by home I mean fly into Philly and then drive down to the beach house. My dad's dad bought this house in maybe the 60's and a year before he passed he gave the house to my dad. E & G will already be in the area for vacation and we'd meet up with them, maybe go to Atlantic City, spend a day at the beach with them and then hang out with my family and friends for a few days before heading back to Texas.


So...if you saw my post on facebook yesterday, you saw there was an incident at our office. It was kind of a big deal, but nobody was hurt and nothing ended up being stolen. Of course...it was my office that this dude tried to steal from, but I wasn't in there at the time.


Only one more day in the office for me this week after today, I love our spring schedule. And Friday I think I'm hosting dinner. Which obviously means I'm already planning bc I'm obsessive like that. Salmon, some kingfish I have in the freezer, those sriracha brussel sprouts I've been wanting to make and couscous. Should I have dessert? Or is that what the wine is for?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f...

Foodie recap

I love to cook. And I love to cook for other people. I may not stray too far on my menu, ok people have said I cook way too much salmon, but at least I mix up the recipes some times? All right, so I probably eat salmon 3-5 nights a week and when I'm not eating salmon I'm eating Mexican. This is Texas. But I should branch out every once in a while. I need some new dishes. Who has suggestions? Everyone once in a while, we make filets...but that can get expensive so it's usually only on special occasions - like holidays...or if it goes on sale. I've made scallops before, so good, but also expensive. I also want to stay relatively healthy. It's ok to go off the reservation and eat what I want once in a while, but I should not be doing it as much as I have been lately. Sooo...here's what I've been eating lately... Chicken fajitas I feel like there must be a veggie missing from this plate... Chicken fajitas take two Happy Mother...

Rock n Roll Dallas recap

We arrived in late Dallas Friday afternoon. When we had left Houston, it was a balmy 87 and four hours later when we stepped out of the car in Dallas is was 53! Talk about a temperature drop. Saturday we went over to expo to get registered and pick up our bibs. The expo was pretty cool, lots to look at, but it took a hot minute to figure out how to get out of there which maybe was the point. By the time we went to dinner on Saturday everybody was a little concerned about the weather for Sunday's race.  They were saying it was supposed to be about 41 at the start with winds at 25-30 miles per hour and gusting to 45mph! E and A wanted to wear long sleeves while K was still talking about running in a singlet. I was on the fence. I didn't have any throw away clothes with me so if I wore a long sleeve top I would have to keep it on the whole time. In the end I stuck with my normal short sleeves and gloves. Sleep Saturday night was fitful and by the time the alarm went off I w...