Skip to main content

Houston Heights 5K

This past Saturday we ran the Houston Heights 5K. Since the Nike Women's race I have been trying to concentrate on building up my speed. Instead of doing the longer runs I would do for a half, I ran no more than 5 miles and did a few speed workouts too. It was going really well, but my runs over the past few weeks could have been better.

it is impossible to look good in running photos...unless you are Kara Goucher.


Fast forward to the start of the race on Saturday. It was hot. And humid. What else should I expect in Houston in June? There were a lot more people at the start then I remembered from last year. I started out with E and there was a lot of bobbing and weaving when the gun went off. It was an out and back course and I stuck with E until the turnaround. She's been having some issues with the foot where she had surgery, so when she told me to go on without her I checked to make sure she was really ok and then I bypassed the water stop and tried to turn it up a notch.

Now, since the start of the race, I had been feeling a little something in my quad. It seemed like just a knot, so I just kept going, trying to push through it. The second 1.5 miles, the knot kept getting tighter. I just wanted to cross the finish line so I just kept going. This course is such a tease though. You can see the finish line for a really long time so you speed up and then realize you still have a ways to go. I ended up finishing in 26:57. Not too shabby.
Splits:
1 - 9:24
2 - 8:29
3 - 7:59

There's another 5k coming up on 4th of July that I think we're going to run. S has said he will help me get faster. I haven't ever trained for, hmm anything, with someone who is faster than me. At least not since college. I really think that will help. Although he may try to kill me. He said I should push for a 7:45 pace.

After that maybe I will try to build my mileage back up. ChicRunner followed a one-month plan she made up and qualified for Boston without even really trying! I'm not saying I want to run a marathon, but maybe I could do a modified version of her plan. Her pace in her workouts was insane.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f...

Rock n Roll Dallas recap

We arrived in late Dallas Friday afternoon. When we had left Houston, it was a balmy 87 and four hours later when we stepped out of the car in Dallas is was 53! Talk about a temperature drop. Saturday we went over to expo to get registered and pick up our bibs. The expo was pretty cool, lots to look at, but it took a hot minute to figure out how to get out of there which maybe was the point. By the time we went to dinner on Saturday everybody was a little concerned about the weather for Sunday's race.  They were saying it was supposed to be about 41 at the start with winds at 25-30 miles per hour and gusting to 45mph! E and A wanted to wear long sleeves while K was still talking about running in a singlet. I was on the fence. I didn't have any throw away clothes with me so if I wore a long sleeve top I would have to keep it on the whole time. In the end I stuck with my normal short sleeves and gloves. Sleep Saturday night was fitful and by the time the alarm went off I w...

Foodie recap

I love to cook. And I love to cook for other people. I may not stray too far on my menu, ok people have said I cook way too much salmon, but at least I mix up the recipes some times? All right, so I probably eat salmon 3-5 nights a week and when I'm not eating salmon I'm eating Mexican. This is Texas. But I should branch out every once in a while. I need some new dishes. Who has suggestions? Everyone once in a while, we make filets...but that can get expensive so it's usually only on special occasions - like holidays...or if it goes on sale. I've made scallops before, so good, but also expensive. I also want to stay relatively healthy. It's ok to go off the reservation and eat what I want once in a while, but I should not be doing it as much as I have been lately. Sooo...here's what I've been eating lately... Chicken fajitas I feel like there must be a veggie missing from this plate... Chicken fajitas take two Happy Mother...