Skip to main content

Weekend recap

This is going to be a boring one. Not much happened this weekend.

I spent Friday night thinking about Saturday morning's run. I wasn't necessarily worried, but I didn't really feel like running 9 miles either. I honestly don't even really remember what I did when I got home. That's bad right? It was only a few days ago. I know I made dinner. Shredded chicken and cheese on tostadas.

The alarm went off so early Saturday morning. E text me to remind me to put glide on my blisters. If only it had helped. We met up just before 6:30am, we were moving up to the 4:30 marathon group this week. The scheduled run was an out and back 9 miles, from Memorial Park to Sabine and back.

We left with the group right around 6:30 and kept with the middle of the pack for the whole way. It was good to stay with people to pace ourselves. Last week when we were with the 5:00 group, there was nobody with us on the run.

Now it wasn't like running at 5pm or anything, but it was hot and humid. And so hard. I couldn't figure out why I thought it was so difficult. Until I realized that when I moved here last year I never really did a long run until like November. When I trained for the Houston Half, not many of my runs went over 5 miles. And there had been lots of walking.

Anyway, we made it to the halfway point where there was a water fountain. Hallelujah. I have not yet bought a hand-held water bottle. Time to head back. It felt slightly harder even though we were running the same pace. Every time we looked at or watches, they said we were right around 10:20-10:30 pace I think. So why on earth at the end of our run was the average pace 10:57? Ugh.

Next came my favorite part of Saturday morning runs. Breakfast tacos. Oh how I love you. All I wanted to do when I got home was relax in the shower for a good long while. But the amount of chafing that happened during our run made that a very scary thought. So I put on clean clothes and laid down for a while to try and let my scars scab over. Don't judge me. Of course, I couldn't fall asleep. I wanted to nap so bad, but that headache that I sometimes, ok almost always, get after long runs reared its ugly head. So I turned on some movies and just laid around.

All I wanted to do Sunday was sleep in. But the Bupa Great North Run was Sunday and it started before 5am here. So I set an alarm and crawled out to my laptop when it was time for the race. The elite fields were small but amazing. In the women's race it was Priscah Jeptoo, Tirunesh Dibaba and Meseret Defar. And on the men's side - Haile Gebrselassie, Mo Farah and Kenenisa Bekele. All right, so I didn't see the whole thing, there was some definite napping going on, but I saw some amazing breakaways and both finishes. As soon as it was over I went back to bed.

The goal for Sunday was to get my scheduled three miles in, but I also wanted to get some sun. So I went down to the pool first. It was pretty relaxing until two jerks showed up. Their cooler had a radio in it and as they walked up it was already on. Playing techno music. Loudly. Ugh. Oh and they were smokers. Awesome. But they didn't last very long and then I finished my book so I went back inside, had some lunch, and went for my run on the treadmill at 5.

My other goal was to go food shopping after my run. But it didn't happen. I watched some tv, decided to cook and clean a little, have a glass of wine, and then didn't feel like leaving the house. Oh well. Must go today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f...

Foodie recap

I love to cook. And I love to cook for other people. I may not stray too far on my menu, ok people have said I cook way too much salmon, but at least I mix up the recipes some times? All right, so I probably eat salmon 3-5 nights a week and when I'm not eating salmon I'm eating Mexican. This is Texas. But I should branch out every once in a while. I need some new dishes. Who has suggestions? Everyone once in a while, we make filets...but that can get expensive so it's usually only on special occasions - like holidays...or if it goes on sale. I've made scallops before, so good, but also expensive. I also want to stay relatively healthy. It's ok to go off the reservation and eat what I want once in a while, but I should not be doing it as much as I have been lately. Sooo...here's what I've been eating lately... Chicken fajitas I feel like there must be a veggie missing from this plate... Chicken fajitas take two Happy Mother...

Rock n Roll Dallas recap

We arrived in late Dallas Friday afternoon. When we had left Houston, it was a balmy 87 and four hours later when we stepped out of the car in Dallas is was 53! Talk about a temperature drop. Saturday we went over to expo to get registered and pick up our bibs. The expo was pretty cool, lots to look at, but it took a hot minute to figure out how to get out of there which maybe was the point. By the time we went to dinner on Saturday everybody was a little concerned about the weather for Sunday's race.  They were saying it was supposed to be about 41 at the start with winds at 25-30 miles per hour and gusting to 45mph! E and A wanted to wear long sleeves while K was still talking about running in a singlet. I was on the fence. I didn't have any throw away clothes with me so if I wore a long sleeve top I would have to keep it on the whole time. In the end I stuck with my normal short sleeves and gloves. Sleep Saturday night was fitful and by the time the alarm went off I w...