Skip to main content

Cops and Robbers

Sorry for the short radio silence. Again. But I have a good excuse this time. Well, bad for me, but still an excuse.

Thursday was an early work day for me. I picked E up just before 6:30am so we could take another spin at doing a course tour with the GoPro. In my car this time. You'd think that we would have realized that this really does need to be done on a bike bc towards the end you go the wrong way down a one way street. But it didn't occur to us until we were already half way done.

Anywho...bc of the early start, we finished work early for the day. I was looking forward to a nap, followed by some reading and tv. No real plans, just hanging out. But when I got home, I found this.

O.M.G. WTF. Someone broke into my apartment?!? My dumb ass walked into the apartment anyway, walked around a bit and realized what a disaster it was in my bedroom and closet. Complete mess. Then, not knowing what else to do, I walked over to my leasing office. They were nice enough to call the police for me.

Now, you're not supposed to go in to your place until the police get there. I could have waited in the office, but with my door being broke open, I really wanted to be over there. So I wandered back over and started calling people. I was doing ok until I called my Mom. That's when the tears started. Then I talked to one of my cousins, and he pointed out items I should look for and make sure they weren't stolen. K was awesome and came over and hung out and waited with me for the cops. Boy was it hot out.

So the cop finally shows up after about 90 minutes and we went inside. At first I hadn't really thought anything was missing. My flats creen, new DSLR and laptop were all still in the apartment. But then I realized that my two of my purses were nowhere to be seen. :/ Two watches that had been on my nightstand were also missing. And omg my passport was in one of those bags! I had just used it as my carry on, so I lost quite a few travel pieces too. You know, the things that got stolen, whatever I can replace them. But my passport with all my stamps and visas, that's disappointing.

The cop asked if there was anything else I noticed, but I'd only been inside for like 15 minutes. How could I know? So he finished and left and I started to clean up. I went to move something and saw that they had taken most of my expensive booze! I sprinted out the door and after the cop and he added my alcohol to the list. I was really proud of my bar. Geez.

Maintenance came and fixed the door and then K was nice enough to go to Chuy's with me even though she had plans later. E showed up for a drink too, but then it was time to go home. I just didn't feel like dealing with it, so I slept on the couch that night. I filed the insurance claim Friday morning and they said I would hear from the adjuster within 48 hours. In the meantime, I decided to wash everything they touched and started trying to figure out what else was missing.

It was not a good weekend for me. The list grew, but I think I have everything figured out. And my wash is almost done. Thank God I'd already planned on moving out at the end of the month.

Comments

  1. Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this. My apt was broken into when I was in grad school. It was 2am and I was up studying. Dude tried to come through my bedroom window. Crazy! My brother was in Iraq so he sent his buddies to come help me move the very next day. I went to the leasing office and they basically said, tough toe nails. So I calmly left, went to the bank and put a stop payment on the rent check I just wrote two days before. So far skipping out on the rent and the lease hasn't come back to haunt me. I hope you are able to work everything out and get a new passport easily.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

15 days

As of yesterday, it has been 15 business days since I submitted my paperwork to State Farm for all of the things that were stolen from my apartment. They have never reached out to me, but I have called them three times. First, with questions before I submitted my paperwork (this was when they told me they had 15 days to accept or reject my claim but that it "never takes that long"), then to see if they needed my new address since I was moving soon and finally last week to get an update on my claim status (this was when they told me they were just waiting on the police report which they had requested on August 16 and it only takes 3 or 4 days). Maybe they put a note in your file every time you call and make you wait that much longer before they finish your claim.  I just want to replace what was taken from me. According to Texas law, there are deadlines for insurance companies to act after you’ve filed a claim. They must accept or reject my claim within 15 days after m

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder?

The I can't believe it's been about seven months since the last time I posted a blog. Did you even notice I was gone? So much has happened in the time that I have been gone. I'm not sure I would be able to get the whole story out or even know where to start. The 2017 #HouMarathon, the twin's last chemo and radiation treatments, me accepting a new position with Susan G. Komen Houston, Aunt Sandy practically in remission, I lost Lola, I got Jewels, my second trip to Denver, my little sister's wedding...the list goes on and on. It's been a very rocky eight months. Personally, professionally, any way you want to look at. But I'm moving into a great place in my life right now and that's all I can ask for.  I was devastated just over a month ago when I lost Lola. She was having trouble breathing one night and by lunch the next day the vet had told me there was nothing they could do. Tumor in her left atrium. I  had to let her go that afternoon. 

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f