Skip to main content

Weekend recap

I had a relatively stress-free weekend, which is nice considering we're just over a month out from race day. Friday night I made a Target run and, among other things, picked up Fast 6. I love those movies. And, though I feel weird saying it out loud bc it's not like I knew him, I was so sad to hear of Paul Walker's death.

Saturday i had some work errands and some holiday shopping to do. Everything was going easy until I wanted to go to Macy's to look for mom's gift. Parking was a nightmare and the mall was packed. What did I expect at 1pm in the afternoon? But I got in, found what I was looking for and got out. Only to find out after leaving the parking lot that the twin had already picked up that particular gift for our mom. Ugh. What else did I do on Saturday? Umm...nothing? If I can't remember it, then it didn't happen.

Early Sunday afternoon I went back to Target for some baking supplies and then, because they didn't have cake flour, I also went to Kroger. I ended up baking seven dozen cookies Sunday afternoon. And this is why I'm a bad blogger. I did not take one picture of the process. Whoops. And at one point it looked like it snowed in my kitchen from when I turned the mixer on and powdered sugar went everywhere.

Baking at the holidays to me always reminds me of home. This year I made Magnolia Bakery's Chocolate Chip Cookies, World Famous Paradise Bakery Sugar Cookies and Russian Tea Cakes. And brought them all into work so hopefully I won't eat too many of them.



Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: 2-3 dozen cookies
Ingredients
  • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup (1 stick + 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips or ¾ cup regular semisweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl beat the butter, sugar, and light brown sugar until smooth, 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add the egg and vanilla extract, mix well.
  5. Gradually add flour mixture and beat until combined.
  6. Fold in chocolate chips.
  7. Drop rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheets (ungreased).
  8. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
  9. Cool cookies on cookie sheet for 1 minute before transferring to wire cooling rack to cool completely. 
World Famous Paradise Bakery Sugar Cookies
  •  1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 cups vegetable shortening
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 3 1/3 cups cake flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tsp. orange zest (not flavoring) optional
**Now the blogger recommends that, if you are using Cake Flour, to use 4 1/3 cups. And then chill them for at least 2 hours prior to baking. (I used 4 cups of cake flour and think my cookies might be a little dry.) If you must use all purpose flour I would use 3 1/2 cups and chill for at least 2 hours.
  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugars and shortening using an electric mixer.
  3. Mix on slow speed 30 seconds, then scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
  4. Increase speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes.
  5. Slowly add vanilla and beaten egg while mixing.
  6. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, mixing on slow speed until just blended. Do not overmix.
  7. Scoop with an ice-cream scoop if decorating with sugar only
  8. Place directly on cookie sheet.
  9. Bake at 375° for 9-10 minutes. Cookies are done when small cracks appear and are pale golden. Ideally, the edges do not brown.
Betty Crocker's Russian Tea Cakes
  •  1 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 1/4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • Powdered sugar
  1.  Heat oven to 400ºF.
  2. 2 Mix butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla in large bowl. Stir in flour, nuts and salt until dough holds together.
  3. 3 Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
  4. 4 Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool slightly on wire rack.
  5. 5 Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar; cool on wire rack. Roll in powdered sugar again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f...

Rock n Roll Dallas recap

We arrived in late Dallas Friday afternoon. When we had left Houston, it was a balmy 87 and four hours later when we stepped out of the car in Dallas is was 53! Talk about a temperature drop. Saturday we went over to expo to get registered and pick up our bibs. The expo was pretty cool, lots to look at, but it took a hot minute to figure out how to get out of there which maybe was the point. By the time we went to dinner on Saturday everybody was a little concerned about the weather for Sunday's race.  They were saying it was supposed to be about 41 at the start with winds at 25-30 miles per hour and gusting to 45mph! E and A wanted to wear long sleeves while K was still talking about running in a singlet. I was on the fence. I didn't have any throw away clothes with me so if I wore a long sleeve top I would have to keep it on the whole time. In the end I stuck with my normal short sleeves and gloves. Sleep Saturday night was fitful and by the time the alarm went off I w...

Foodie recap

I love to cook. And I love to cook for other people. I may not stray too far on my menu, ok people have said I cook way too much salmon, but at least I mix up the recipes some times? All right, so I probably eat salmon 3-5 nights a week and when I'm not eating salmon I'm eating Mexican. This is Texas. But I should branch out every once in a while. I need some new dishes. Who has suggestions? Everyone once in a while, we make filets...but that can get expensive so it's usually only on special occasions - like holidays...or if it goes on sale. I've made scallops before, so good, but also expensive. I also want to stay relatively healthy. It's ok to go off the reservation and eat what I want once in a while, but I should not be doing it as much as I have been lately. Sooo...here's what I've been eating lately... Chicken fajitas I feel like there must be a veggie missing from this plate... Chicken fajitas take two Happy Mother...