Skip to main content

Holiday weekend recap

I've said it before, I'll say it every time. I love long weekends. Even if, or maybe especially if, I don't really do that much.

Thursday morning was the TXU Turkey Trot. I had zero expectations for this race since I've barely been running 20 mins a few times a week. So I met up with E and we waited around for our boss to show up so we could give him his bib. As we were walking to the start line, the race had already started. With over 15,000 people in the race, I was hoping that meant the crowd would thin out some. No such luck.

E set the pace and it was under 10min/miles for the first three and over 10min/miles for the last three. Overall, a pleasant race. Oh, except it was freezing! I couldn't feel my toes for the the first two miles. Yuck.

I knew I should have taken a nap when I got home, but, well...I had to finish The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest. Really, once I get into a book it's hard for me to put it down. So I finished that and then went over to E's parents' house for Thanksgiving dinner. It was very nice of them to invite me. And their family that was in town to visit was from Aston, PA! They live like two miles from the twin. So weird. Dinner was amazing and it was nice to be around family, even if it wasn't mine.

And if you're wondering, I took flowers and a bottle of wine that I picked up at my favorite grocery store, Central Market. It's like Fresh Market meets Whole Foods. Love.

After dinner, dessert and some Thanksgiving bingo, E, her aunt and I braved the crowds and stood in line to get into Target. At least we could see some fireworks while we were waiting. While we were waiting, we found out the the tv I really wanted was a ticketed item and they only had 30 tickets. We were 100 people back in line. Ummm...maybe you should advertise that next time Target. But I still got a good deal on a (smaller) tv and picked up a few movies. E's aunt got TWO iPads, I should have bought one, and E randomly got a new vacuum.

Not much to say for the rest of the weekend. Although I did get up and leave the house Friday to get a blowout. Amazingly I still had one of my two per month left on my membership and it had to be used. Even if I wasn't going anywhere, it made me feel pretty. The only other time I left the house this weekend was to run to Kroger to get some food. And I'm convinced that the salmon I bought was bad. Not food poisoning bad, but bad enough to make me not want to go anywhere. Fail.

The rest of the weekend was spent alternating between working and reading the Fifty Shades trilogy, which I started and finished. Hey. I told you when I get into a book, I get into book.

Holy cow. I can't believe it's December. That means crunch time at work. Time to get to it.

AND I can't believe Paul Walker died. In a car accident. Loved him and his movies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 days

As of yesterday, it has been 15 business days since I submitted my paperwork to State Farm for all of the things that were stolen from my apartment. They have never reached out to me, but I have called them three times. First, with questions before I submitted my paperwork (this was when they told me they had 15 days to accept or reject my claim but that it "never takes that long"), then to see if they needed my new address since I was moving soon and finally last week to get an update on my claim status (this was when they told me they were just waiting on the police report which they had requested on August 16 and it only takes 3 or 4 days). Maybe they put a note in your file every time you call and make you wait that much longer before they finish your claim.  I just want to replace what was taken from me. According to Texas law, there are deadlines for insurance companies to act after you’ve filed a claim. They must accept or reject my claim within 15 days after m

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder?

The I can't believe it's been about seven months since the last time I posted a blog. Did you even notice I was gone? So much has happened in the time that I have been gone. I'm not sure I would be able to get the whole story out or even know where to start. The 2017 #HouMarathon, the twin's last chemo and radiation treatments, me accepting a new position with Susan G. Komen Houston, Aunt Sandy practically in remission, I lost Lola, I got Jewels, my second trip to Denver, my little sister's wedding...the list goes on and on. It's been a very rocky eight months. Personally, professionally, any way you want to look at. But I'm moving into a great place in my life right now and that's all I can ask for.  I was devastated just over a month ago when I lost Lola. She was having trouble breathing one night and by lunch the next day the vet had told me there was nothing they could do. Tumor in her left atrium. I  had to let her go that afternoon. 

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f