Skip to main content

Weekend recap

I called this a weekend recap, but mostly it's going to be about the Houston Half.

Friday night was real exciting. I fell asleep on the couch before 7:30pm. Guess I was tired. And finally got up and went to bed after midnight. Oh but the twin and I did get our pictures back finally with no watermarks. More on that tomorrow.

I did get in a two mile run on Saturday. To make up for the fact that I had only run once that week. And bc K said I couldn't carb-load at dinner that night if I didn't get off my couch.I had dinner that night with A & E at Pantranella's. And I ate a lot. I mean, a whole lot - all the bread in site and my entire serving of linguine and clams. I tried to go to bed early, but it was still about midnight when I finally fell asleep.

Sunday morning the alarm went off way too early, 4:55am. I quickly got ready and dashed out the door to get to E's place by 5:45. Leaving my place I made the decision that I had to go over the train tracks and take the highway. It would be way faster at this time of day. I hesitated before turning out of my complex to make sure no trains were coming and then zoomed down the street and over the tracks at about 50 mph. Maybe a slight overreaction, but so what?

As soon as I walked into E's she asked if I'd been watching the news. Umm, not so much. They're telling people not to go outside she says, bc of the storm that's coming. I knew there was a 30% chance of rain, but that seems a bit much. So K gets there and we drive over to as close to the start as we can get. Right after we get out of the car it starts to rain, just a little. By the time the HMC tent is in view, it is absolutely pouring. Oh, and did I mention the thunder and lightening? As we huddle under the tent trying to keep warm, they make the announcement. The race has been postponed by one hour.

Excellent. I thought for a minute there that the girls were going to drop out and I wouldn't have to run. No such luck. We stood around under the tent for the next hour and fifteen minutes before heading over to the start line in our newly acquired plastic bags.

The gun goes off and we start running. And I honestly don't remember too much of the course. I zoned out as much as possible to just try and get through this race. I know I ran 10 minute miles for the first eight and that around mile six my hamstrings started to lock up. I think it stopped raining by mile eleven. And I hot mile twelve in the time I finished in last year. By the time I saw the 13 mile marker I just wanted to be done as quickly as possible. It took everything I had in me to quicken my pace and then finally I was done.

I have never been so happy to be finished with a race. Not the 10 miler last year that was hot and humid or even the 25K with the huge blister could compare to how miserable I was out there on the course yesterday.

Lesson learned. Running once, maybe twice, a week is no way to train for a half marathon. Now please excuse me while I try to book a massage for later today.

Brunch and mimosas make everything better. Even if our food was cold.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 days

As of yesterday, it has been 15 business days since I submitted my paperwork to State Farm for all of the things that were stolen from my apartment. They have never reached out to me, but I have called them three times. First, with questions before I submitted my paperwork (this was when they told me they had 15 days to accept or reject my claim but that it "never takes that long"), then to see if they needed my new address since I was moving soon and finally last week to get an update on my claim status (this was when they told me they were just waiting on the police report which they had requested on August 16 and it only takes 3 or 4 days). Maybe they put a note in your file every time you call and make you wait that much longer before they finish your claim.  I just want to replace what was taken from me. According to Texas law, there are deadlines for insurance companies to act after you’ve filed a claim. They must accept or reject my claim within 15 days after m

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder?

The I can't believe it's been about seven months since the last time I posted a blog. Did you even notice I was gone? So much has happened in the time that I have been gone. I'm not sure I would be able to get the whole story out or even know where to start. The 2017 #HouMarathon, the twin's last chemo and radiation treatments, me accepting a new position with Susan G. Komen Houston, Aunt Sandy practically in remission, I lost Lola, I got Jewels, my second trip to Denver, my little sister's wedding...the list goes on and on. It's been a very rocky eight months. Personally, professionally, any way you want to look at. But I'm moving into a great place in my life right now and that's all I can ask for.  I was devastated just over a month ago when I lost Lola. She was having trouble breathing one night and by lunch the next day the vet had told me there was nothing they could do. Tumor in her left atrium. I  had to let her go that afternoon. 

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f