Skip to main content

Houston Half Marathon and weekly recap

It's been another minute since my last update. It's kind of taken me this long to process how my half marathon went...and what went wrong. Two months ago when I decided I wanted to run this race I was doing 3-6 miles at an 8:30 pace or faster. And I really wanted to run the Houston Half at an 8:30.

When I got back from Chicago it became clear that this was not going to happen. So I decided why not a 9:00 minute pace? I've done it before, I can do it again. I did my only double-digit run the weekend before the race. It was pretty slow. But I thought, hey in Runner's High they tell you long runs should be about a minute slower per mile then race pace.

Well on race day I just couldn't do it. I kept the first 7 miles under 10 minutes (8:38, 9:03, 9:16, 9:16, 9:40, 9:40, 9:47) before things just got worse. I think in the final four miles of the race, I might have walked two full miles. #Fail Everything felt tired. My arms felt super heavy. Maybe I ate too many carbs? Not enough breakfast? Didn't take enough fluids? Whatever it was, I don't want it to happen again. Although I don't even know when my next half will be. We're getting into marathon season now and while I will hopefully still have time to run and work out, half marathon training is pushing it.

Anywho...after the race was over it was time for brunch. The boys went home and showered first and K and I met them there in clean dry clothes but no shower...they thought we were crazy. But. We like to give the chafing time to cool off before subjecting ourselves to the shower. Oh the joys of long distance running. There was a lot of cursing and yelping when I finally took a shower. But then I took a nap by the pool so that helped. And El Tiempo for dinner for the first time in a long time helped too.

I don't even remember Monday. Tuesday was SoA night...I went to the grocery right after work, someone had finally given a suggestion for dinner so I bought what I needed to make stir fry for four. Walk into my house at 5:55pm and its 85 degrees in there. My air conditioning was busted. Again. The last time they came out to fix it (I've called four times about it now in two months), they told me nothing was wrong...when I KNEW it was leaking freon. Dinner was supposed to be late this time (at least 9pm) so I was hoping it would cool off. No such luck. So we postponed and went out to eat instead.

Weds I had a girlfriend over for dinner...she has been liking my food pics on instagram forever so we finally decided to have dinner together. Salmon (duh), brussel sprouts with gorgonzola, pecans and cranberries (amazing) and rice. Along with a bottle or prosecco, a bottle of red and some amazing mason jar tiny pies that I was taste testing bc I may give them as media gifts. It was a good night.

Thursday was the do over for SoA but it ended up being just two of us. Great stir fry, lots of leftovers...that are still sitting in my fridge. I'm not real big on leftovers unless its pasta or something. I stayed in for Halloween. I'm 33, no need to do that anymore. Saturday morning was chilly but I got out an ran...and then went back to bed for most of the day. But I did work out Saturday night before we went to Pistoleros for dia de los muertos. Nothing like patron specials and free beer. I watched the NYC Marathon from bed Sunday morning before working on and off for the rest of the day and then cooking dinner last night. I really like this sriracha, brown sugar, lime juice thing I've been putting on the salmon, but geez is it hard to get off the pan. Might have to use tin foil every time from now on.

How's that? Everyone all caught up. Working, running, working out, cooking and SoA. That's basically my life right now. With some Pistolero's thrown in every few days for good measure.



Carb loading Friday night

Not the numbers I wanted to see...



Mimosas make everything better



Taste testing Tiny Pies for work...two thumbs up!




Hahahahahahaha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 days

As of yesterday, it has been 15 business days since I submitted my paperwork to State Farm for all of the things that were stolen from my apartment. They have never reached out to me, but I have called them three times. First, with questions before I submitted my paperwork (this was when they told me they had 15 days to accept or reject my claim but that it "never takes that long"), then to see if they needed my new address since I was moving soon and finally last week to get an update on my claim status (this was when they told me they were just waiting on the police report which they had requested on August 16 and it only takes 3 or 4 days). Maybe they put a note in your file every time you call and make you wait that much longer before they finish your claim.  I just want to replace what was taken from me. According to Texas law, there are deadlines for insurance companies to act after you’ve filed a claim. They must accept or reject my claim within 15 days after m

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder?

The I can't believe it's been about seven months since the last time I posted a blog. Did you even notice I was gone? So much has happened in the time that I have been gone. I'm not sure I would be able to get the whole story out or even know where to start. The 2017 #HouMarathon, the twin's last chemo and radiation treatments, me accepting a new position with Susan G. Komen Houston, Aunt Sandy practically in remission, I lost Lola, I got Jewels, my second trip to Denver, my little sister's wedding...the list goes on and on. It's been a very rocky eight months. Personally, professionally, any way you want to look at. But I'm moving into a great place in my life right now and that's all I can ask for.  I was devastated just over a month ago when I lost Lola. She was having trouble breathing one night and by lunch the next day the vet had told me there was nothing they could do. Tumor in her left atrium. I  had to let her go that afternoon. 

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f