Skip to main content

Moving plans

I'm moving in about six weeks. Time to start thinking about packing and how I'm going to get my stuff together and move it.

Alaina over at Live Creating Yourself used something in Chicago for her move called redi-box. Thirty red plastic boxes were dropped in her living room on the requested day and she threw any and all of my non-furniture item into one. Moving all of the knick knacks–like kitchenware, decorative items, even some clothes, and the entire contents of her bar–became super easy...

Image via http://www.livecreatingyourself.com/
Looks like a good way to go to me. I think I've found a place in Houston - One Source Moving - that offers the same service.  This type of box will stack much easier then a random assortment of cardboard boxes and also has handles so they will be easier to carry. Their website talks a lot about movers too though, so I hope it's possible to just rent the crates.

I'm not sure I can do anything in the mean time. If I'm going to use these crates, I won't be packing anything in cardboard boxes. The Chicago company provides much more information - I could get 15 crates for two weeks for $99 or 30 crates for $150. Seems like a lot to me, but if it's going to make my move easier then I'm all for it.

Just found another company in Houston - http://www.boxesinhouston.com/products.html. But their pricing only lists 3 and 5 day box rentals. That would be some pretty quick packing. But they seem more organized than the other company.

Ande another one. This one gives you two weeks and 25 boxes for $129. http://www.elephantmovingandstorage.com/rent-packing-crates.php.

I want to start packing now though. If I go with this option, I won't really pack until two weeks out. I guess I could "get things ready." We'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f...

Rock n Roll Dallas recap

We arrived in late Dallas Friday afternoon. When we had left Houston, it was a balmy 87 and four hours later when we stepped out of the car in Dallas is was 53! Talk about a temperature drop. Saturday we went over to expo to get registered and pick up our bibs. The expo was pretty cool, lots to look at, but it took a hot minute to figure out how to get out of there which maybe was the point. By the time we went to dinner on Saturday everybody was a little concerned about the weather for Sunday's race.  They were saying it was supposed to be about 41 at the start with winds at 25-30 miles per hour and gusting to 45mph! E and A wanted to wear long sleeves while K was still talking about running in a singlet. I was on the fence. I didn't have any throw away clothes with me so if I wore a long sleeve top I would have to keep it on the whole time. In the end I stuck with my normal short sleeves and gloves. Sleep Saturday night was fitful and by the time the alarm went off I w...

Insurance process

Ok, so who has ever had their place broken into? First I filed the police report. Then after I actually had a handle on what really was missing I amended the police report. I gathered all of the documentation I could find for the things that were missing - it's amazing how often I just throw away the receipts - and sent that along with an itemized list to the insurance company. Now what? How long will this take? The one guy I spoke to said that they have 15 days to process the claim, but that it usually gets done sooner. Will I hear from them in the meantime? I called my new apartment complex yesterday. I am supposed to be moving on August 31 but naturally I want to get out of here as soon as possible. They told me the current tenant moves out on the 19th and that they may be able to get me in that weekend - the 24th or 25th. They were going to check on a few things and let me know. That would be fantastic. I'm not necessarily afraid to be in my current apartment. But I...