Skip to main content

Long weekend recap

Ya, ya, I'm late. It's getting busier and busier at work now that we're 10 weeks out from the race. So...two weekend recaps in one this week.
 
Parents visit recap

I love long weekends. I love them even more when I have visitors.

Friday night and most of Saturday were slightly boring. I lounged around, went for a run and made sure the apartment was clean.I stopped at Target on my way to the airport and the mobile guy told me I could add a line to my account for $10/month so that I could get the new iPhone for $200...it would be cheaper in the long run than buying a new phone for $650. (More on that later)

I picked my parents up at IAH and we just hung out for a while at my place Saturday night. Sunday morning I somehow talked my mom out of going to church so that I could stay home and watch the NYC Marathon on ESPN. It was a great race, but literally the second the male winner crossed the finish line I was hustling them out the door. We had brunch reservations at Max's Wine Dive. I knew my mom would love it, but wasn't so sure about my dad. But he since he ate his whole bacon bacon omelet and almost half of my ginormous breakfast sandwich, I'd say he thought it was at least ok. My mom had the creme brulee french toast and obvi we had mimosas.

Three fried eggs come on this sandwich!

Once brunch was done, I talked them into stopping at Target "real quick." Well unfortunately real quick turned into 3 hours!?! The guy I had spoken wasn't there, but the mobile manager on duty told me the same thing - add a line for $10/month, get the iphone for $200 - not $180 bc target was having a sale. Well the associate helping me was the only one in the store at the time who could sell phones. So he started helping the person behind me and then another customer as well. Trying to help three people at the same time. Never a good idea. So first he talked to Target Mobile Support, then AT&T. Then something was not right with the account so back to Target Mobile. On and on. After over 2.5 hours he tells me they can't do $10/month, it's going to be $20. Fine. Whatever. I've been here so long I don't care. As we're leaving, he tells me if I change my mind I can always come back and return it/cancel the new line. (foreshadowing here...)

I feel so bad now that I've kept my parents in Target this long. Later that night we headed over to City Centre for dinner and a movie. I let my dad choose the restaurant and he wanted to go to Brio. The same restaurant my mom, aunt and I had my least meal at when I was home. Oh well. It still had good food. And even the flightiest waitress ever couldn't take away from our dinner. Then we went over to Studio Movie Grill for dessert and a movie - Ender's Game. Having no idea what the movie was about heading in, I surprisingly liked it. A little weird, but overall good.

Now the shocker. My mom has friends from home who now has a house 45 minutes from where I live. So after introducing my parents to breakfast tacos, we headed up to visit them. Amazing people. The have a home/farm in British Columbia but aren't huge fans of Canadian winter (who is?), so they also have a place in Humble, Texas bc she has kids who live in Texas. So my mom hasn't seen her in years! so it was really nice that they had a chance to catch up.

After we left there my mom finally admitted that she wanted to try the Drybar. I never thought it would be her kind of thing or I obviously would have booked up appointments. Duh. Looking at their mobile app, it looked like they had tons of appointments left so I figured we would just walk in. I should know by now that things like that never work for me. By the time we got down there, they must have sent some stylists home. They wouldn't be able to fit one of us in for an hour. So we said no thanks and wandered around the Galleria for a while. I really wanted to drive them through the expensive parts of town with the huge houses, but it was dark by now so we just went home. Everyone was still so full from our late lunch with mom's friends that we nixed our planned fancy dinner and went to one of my favorite places - the Black Walnut Cafe - for dinner at 8:30.

It was a great weekend, but the next morning I had to drop them off at the airport. And while I know they were sad to leave, I also know my mom was super-excited to not have to climb into the back of my two-door honda anymore! New car soon, I swear mom!

This weekend

For some reason I can't really sleep during the week right now. Like, up til all hours of the night and by the time I finally fall asleep I swear my alarm is already going off. But once the weekend rolls around, this is not an issue. I fell asleep before 8pm Friday night on the couch. Got up around midnight and of course could not get right back to sleep. So read for a bit then slept til 9am. Went for a run, a very short run, and did a quick easy (but oh so hard) workout.

The plan was to get some work done after this. But after another quick nap, I decided to figure out if my AT&T bill was what Target said it would be last weekend. I ended up spending an hour on the phone with Diego AT&T at which point they told me I was being charged $70!!! a month for that new line I added that didn't even have a phone attached to it! So I went back to Target to return the phone. Which took a whopping 90 minutes. And at the end of all that, they said to me - now, make sure you call AT&T on Monday. We've suspended your line, but they can't cancel it without a cancellation fee until Monday. Sounds like a scam to me, right? I already had a call set up with the guy I spoke to though, so I wasn't worried. (Sidenote - Diego did not call as planned at 2pmET today, and when I called they said it says in my file someone will call me by Thursday at 8pm. ugh)

If anyone is still reading at this point - the moral of the story is do NOT under any circumstances buy a phone at Target if you are in any way changing your plan. They will mess it up.

But good news, in here somewhere K asked me to come over for dinner, wine and a movie. She was renting White House Down. Hello Channing Tatum.

Sunday was more boringness with a 3 mile run. But I did get some food shopping done and I worked out my work schedule through race day. Now to meet all those impending deadlines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 days

As of yesterday, it has been 15 business days since I submitted my paperwork to State Farm for all of the things that were stolen from my apartment. They have never reached out to me, but I have called them three times. First, with questions before I submitted my paperwork (this was when they told me they had 15 days to accept or reject my claim but that it "never takes that long"), then to see if they needed my new address since I was moving soon and finally last week to get an update on my claim status (this was when they told me they were just waiting on the police report which they had requested on August 16 and it only takes 3 or 4 days). Maybe they put a note in your file every time you call and make you wait that much longer before they finish your claim.  I just want to replace what was taken from me. According to Texas law, there are deadlines for insurance companies to act after you’ve filed a claim. They must accept or reject my claim within 15 days after m

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder?

The I can't believe it's been about seven months since the last time I posted a blog. Did you even notice I was gone? So much has happened in the time that I have been gone. I'm not sure I would be able to get the whole story out or even know where to start. The 2017 #HouMarathon, the twin's last chemo and radiation treatments, me accepting a new position with Susan G. Komen Houston, Aunt Sandy practically in remission, I lost Lola, I got Jewels, my second trip to Denver, my little sister's wedding...the list goes on and on. It's been a very rocky eight months. Personally, professionally, any way you want to look at. But I'm moving into a great place in my life right now and that's all I can ask for.  I was devastated just over a month ago when I lost Lola. She was having trouble breathing one night and by lunch the next day the vet had told me there was nothing they could do. Tumor in her left atrium. I  had to let her go that afternoon. 

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f