Skip to main content

HMSA Classical 25km

I had told my boss after we ran a half marathon at the end of October that, hands down, I was not running the 25km race (that's 15.5 miles!) three weeks later. I took 10 days completely off from running. That was when I found out that another guy in the office had gotten me an entry for the 25k!

So I started running again. But not very far. This was also around the time that I started the My Fit Foods 21 Day Challenge. It's a company here in Houston and you eat their food, and only their food, for 21 days. It's three meals and two snacks a day (about 1200 calories for me) and you can only drink water.

So race morning comes and I was so nervous. I've never run that far, ever, and I wasn't sure I was going to that day. It was a loop course (three times a five mile loop) and I thought, well maybe I will just run two.

I got out to the start line, the gun went off, and off we all went. The first loop was great. For the amount I had been running, I felt very comfortable. And so I decided I could finish the race. I'm on the second loop, still feeling ok and then mile 9 hits. And I can tell I'm hitting the wall. I can feel the blister that is now on the bottom of my pinky toe on my left foot. with every step. But  just keep going. I'm slowing down, but doing ok. Here comes mile 13 and I just want to stop. So bad. So I take a few walking breaks every now and then but keep going. And finally here it comes. I can see the finish line.

I an ecstatic to cross the finish line (in somewhere around 2:37). It means I can finally stop. I hobble over to the water and gatorade. See that the food line is way too long and don't stop. I've got places to go. Kick off is in under two hours and I have suite tickets to the Texans game. So I walk, in my socks, to the car. Never have I been so happy to sit down.

And I tell myself this is it. I need time to recover before I can run again. I need rest. And for my blisters to heal. So what happens today? I signed up for the 10k turkey trot. in three days. oh my.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f...

Rock n Roll Dallas recap

We arrived in late Dallas Friday afternoon. When we had left Houston, it was a balmy 87 and four hours later when we stepped out of the car in Dallas is was 53! Talk about a temperature drop. Saturday we went over to expo to get registered and pick up our bibs. The expo was pretty cool, lots to look at, but it took a hot minute to figure out how to get out of there which maybe was the point. By the time we went to dinner on Saturday everybody was a little concerned about the weather for Sunday's race.  They were saying it was supposed to be about 41 at the start with winds at 25-30 miles per hour and gusting to 45mph! E and A wanted to wear long sleeves while K was still talking about running in a singlet. I was on the fence. I didn't have any throw away clothes with me so if I wore a long sleeve top I would have to keep it on the whole time. In the end I stuck with my normal short sleeves and gloves. Sleep Saturday night was fitful and by the time the alarm went off I w...

Foodie recap

I love to cook. And I love to cook for other people. I may not stray too far on my menu, ok people have said I cook way too much salmon, but at least I mix up the recipes some times? All right, so I probably eat salmon 3-5 nights a week and when I'm not eating salmon I'm eating Mexican. This is Texas. But I should branch out every once in a while. I need some new dishes. Who has suggestions? Everyone once in a while, we make filets...but that can get expensive so it's usually only on special occasions - like holidays...or if it goes on sale. I've made scallops before, so good, but also expensive. I also want to stay relatively healthy. It's ok to go off the reservation and eat what I want once in a while, but I should not be doing it as much as I have been lately. Sooo...here's what I've been eating lately... Chicken fajitas I feel like there must be a veggie missing from this plate... Chicken fajitas take two Happy Mother...