Skip to main content

40 Day Challenge

Today marks the end of my 40 Day Challenge at Yoga One. And I skipped the morning class bc I had too many margaritas last night.

So what was the 40 Day Challenge? Yoga One refers to it as your personal revolution. You commit to practicing yoga six days a week either in the studio or, when not possible, at home. The seventh day should be a day of rest or restorative practice. Daily meditation and a balanced diet were also involved. These were the "easy" parts. I was also supposed to commit to maintaining a journal of experiences, read Baron Baptiste's book and "empower myself and create possibility for myself through the program."

Doing anything for 40 days is guaranteed to create a change, shift, or insight in some capacity. Forty days is the time it takes to build an entirely new set of habits and practices to train and rewire your mind and body. And I did have a new set of habits for the majority of these 40 days. I became a morning person. Ha. We'll see if this lasts. In order to be able to practice and still have time to run, Monday through Friday I tried to attend the morning classes before work. Which meant on M, W, F I was in the Heights at 5:30am and on T, Th I was at Woodway for the 6:30am.

Attending class six days a week was a commitment I struggled with. Through the halfway point, I was doing very well. But it was hard. I rarely get up that early and it didn't change the fact that I am a night owl, so some days I got very little sleep. And then there's the fact that I only practice hot yoga. After I came back from LA and went to several classes, I was so dehydrated that my toes would cramp on the regular. I was at a social run one night and my toes would not uncurl. One of the guys had to get me a gatorade, after I'd had my second bottle of water, just so I could walk back to my car. After that, I missed more classes then I should have.

LA was the beginning of the end of my Challenge. I basically fell off the wagon after that and only attended four classes since I returned on the 14th. If I were to do another Challenge, I would make sure that I was not out of town during any of it.

I think part of the reason I failed at this Challenge was because I didn't buy in to the whole program. I didn't attend the weekly mandatory meetings and I didn't participate in any of the special workshops that they hosted.

Don't get me wrong, I saw some huge benefits health-wise. Well if you ignore the dehydration bc that's my own fault any way. I'm leaner and my arms are finally starting to take on more definition thanks to all those chaturungas.

So what now? I think I'm going to take a few days off yoga. Although maybe not. My favorite class is Saturday at 2pm. And then recommit to shorter, possibly 20 day, personal challenge to get my mind right before my trip home for a family wedding in April (more on the wedding details another day).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f...

Rock n Roll Dallas recap

We arrived in late Dallas Friday afternoon. When we had left Houston, it was a balmy 87 and four hours later when we stepped out of the car in Dallas is was 53! Talk about a temperature drop. Saturday we went over to expo to get registered and pick up our bibs. The expo was pretty cool, lots to look at, but it took a hot minute to figure out how to get out of there which maybe was the point. By the time we went to dinner on Saturday everybody was a little concerned about the weather for Sunday's race.  They were saying it was supposed to be about 41 at the start with winds at 25-30 miles per hour and gusting to 45mph! E and A wanted to wear long sleeves while K was still talking about running in a singlet. I was on the fence. I didn't have any throw away clothes with me so if I wore a long sleeve top I would have to keep it on the whole time. In the end I stuck with my normal short sleeves and gloves. Sleep Saturday night was fitful and by the time the alarm went off I w...

Foodie recap

I love to cook. And I love to cook for other people. I may not stray too far on my menu, ok people have said I cook way too much salmon, but at least I mix up the recipes some times? All right, so I probably eat salmon 3-5 nights a week and when I'm not eating salmon I'm eating Mexican. This is Texas. But I should branch out every once in a while. I need some new dishes. Who has suggestions? Everyone once in a while, we make filets...but that can get expensive so it's usually only on special occasions - like holidays...or if it goes on sale. I've made scallops before, so good, but also expensive. I also want to stay relatively healthy. It's ok to go off the reservation and eat what I want once in a while, but I should not be doing it as much as I have been lately. Sooo...here's what I've been eating lately... Chicken fajitas I feel like there must be a veggie missing from this plate... Chicken fajitas take two Happy Mother...