Skip to main content

40 Day Challenge

Today marks the end of my 40 Day Challenge at Yoga One. And I skipped the morning class bc I had too many margaritas last night.

So what was the 40 Day Challenge? Yoga One refers to it as your personal revolution. You commit to practicing yoga six days a week either in the studio or, when not possible, at home. The seventh day should be a day of rest or restorative practice. Daily meditation and a balanced diet were also involved. These were the "easy" parts. I was also supposed to commit to maintaining a journal of experiences, read Baron Baptiste's book and "empower myself and create possibility for myself through the program."

Doing anything for 40 days is guaranteed to create a change, shift, or insight in some capacity. Forty days is the time it takes to build an entirely new set of habits and practices to train and rewire your mind and body. And I did have a new set of habits for the majority of these 40 days. I became a morning person. Ha. We'll see if this lasts. In order to be able to practice and still have time to run, Monday through Friday I tried to attend the morning classes before work. Which meant on M, W, F I was in the Heights at 5:30am and on T, Th I was at Woodway for the 6:30am.

Attending class six days a week was a commitment I struggled with. Through the halfway point, I was doing very well. But it was hard. I rarely get up that early and it didn't change the fact that I am a night owl, so some days I got very little sleep. And then there's the fact that I only practice hot yoga. After I came back from LA and went to several classes, I was so dehydrated that my toes would cramp on the regular. I was at a social run one night and my toes would not uncurl. One of the guys had to get me a gatorade, after I'd had my second bottle of water, just so I could walk back to my car. After that, I missed more classes then I should have.

LA was the beginning of the end of my Challenge. I basically fell off the wagon after that and only attended four classes since I returned on the 14th. If I were to do another Challenge, I would make sure that I was not out of town during any of it.

I think part of the reason I failed at this Challenge was because I didn't buy in to the whole program. I didn't attend the weekly mandatory meetings and I didn't participate in any of the special workshops that they hosted.

Don't get me wrong, I saw some huge benefits health-wise. Well if you ignore the dehydration bc that's my own fault any way. I'm leaner and my arms are finally starting to take on more definition thanks to all those chaturungas.

So what now? I think I'm going to take a few days off yoga. Although maybe not. My favorite class is Saturday at 2pm. And then recommit to shorter, possibly 20 day, personal challenge to get my mind right before my trip home for a family wedding in April (more on the wedding details another day).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 days

As of yesterday, it has been 15 business days since I submitted my paperwork to State Farm for all of the things that were stolen from my apartment. They have never reached out to me, but I have called them three times. First, with questions before I submitted my paperwork (this was when they told me they had 15 days to accept or reject my claim but that it "never takes that long"), then to see if they needed my new address since I was moving soon and finally last week to get an update on my claim status (this was when they told me they were just waiting on the police report which they had requested on August 16 and it only takes 3 or 4 days). Maybe they put a note in your file every time you call and make you wait that much longer before they finish your claim.  I just want to replace what was taken from me. According to Texas law, there are deadlines for insurance companies to act after you’ve filed a claim. They must accept or reject my claim within 15 days after m

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder?

The I can't believe it's been about seven months since the last time I posted a blog. Did you even notice I was gone? So much has happened in the time that I have been gone. I'm not sure I would be able to get the whole story out or even know where to start. The 2017 #HouMarathon, the twin's last chemo and radiation treatments, me accepting a new position with Susan G. Komen Houston, Aunt Sandy practically in remission, I lost Lola, I got Jewels, my second trip to Denver, my little sister's wedding...the list goes on and on. It's been a very rocky eight months. Personally, professionally, any way you want to look at. But I'm moving into a great place in my life right now and that's all I can ask for.  I was devastated just over a month ago when I lost Lola. She was having trouble breathing one night and by lunch the next day the vet had told me there was nothing they could do. Tumor in her left atrium. I  had to let her go that afternoon. 

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f