Skip to main content

PSA

Do you get annual checkups and/or regularly give yourself self exams? No? Me neither. But we should.

No, I don't have cancer. But the twin does. And so does Aunt S. 



Let's start at the beginning. 

Just over six weeks ago Aunt S was diagnosed with cancer. The much simplified version says - She had been feeling pretty run down ever since she had pneumonia late in the winter. She kept feeling like there was something stuck in her throat. But multiple doctors told her not to worry. Finally she'd had enough and when she went back again they scoped her throat and could see a mass attached to her uvula I think. There's so much more to it, I've just blocked it all out, but she was then diagnosed with cancer. Shortly after she had exploratory surgery to see if they could remove it...no dice. She ended up cutting a Sedona vacation short to start treatment early. Five radiation treatments and one chemo treatment per week. 

The twin went home to visit Aunt S over the fourth and while she was there mentioned she had felt a lump. Well you really can't tell someone who has cancer that and expect them to not do anything. So they went to urgent care, who couldn't do anything other than say get a mammogram. But her old doc was on vaca, so she scheduled an appointment with a new doc in Denver for the following week. The week after that she had a biopsy. That was last Tuesday. On Wednesday I got the call. Breast cancer. Stage 2.

She has started a new blog to document her journey - dream-boobs.blogspot.com.



They're both pretty active and healthy. Working out, trying to eat right. No real history of cancer in our family. 

My twin sister has cancer. It doesn't sound real. I'm definitely still in denial and I'm not the one who is sick!

A lot has been going on lately and I've started and stopped several different blogs that are now sitting in my drafts folder. Things that have been happening, things I've had issues with or that are impacting my life. Maybe one day I will go back and post them. But none of that seems relevant now.

There was one post about losing friends, which sucks whenever it happens, but especially sucks when something like this comes up in your life and you feel like you need all the friends you can get.

So now what? Aunt S is in her second week of treatment. She's exhausted all the time and it's hard to eat even with pain meds, but her doctors say the eating thing could get easier by the end of this week.

Twin has five doctors appointments in three days. She's currently living in Denver while I'm in Houston. And I would never push anything on her that she wasn't comfortable with or that she just didn't want to do, but...U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospitals” survey ranks MD Anderson here in Houston as the nation’s top hospital for cancer care.

This is not my journey. That sounds so stupid. But it's her life to live and decide what's best for her and I need to support that in any way that I can. For both of them. All I can do is be there...and maybe try to make them laugh.

Aunt S lost 11 pounds in the first week or so bc eating was so painful - bikini body here you come I said. Thankfully she did not think it was too soon. Last week when I told twin there were easier ways to get me to send her Veuve flutes (something I had sent Aunt S after her diagnosis), she didn't respond. So prob a little too soon for her. What can I say, there's a learning curve. I've never had two of my closest family members go through this before.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f...

Foodie recap

I love to cook. And I love to cook for other people. I may not stray too far on my menu, ok people have said I cook way too much salmon, but at least I mix up the recipes some times? All right, so I probably eat salmon 3-5 nights a week and when I'm not eating salmon I'm eating Mexican. This is Texas. But I should branch out every once in a while. I need some new dishes. Who has suggestions? Everyone once in a while, we make filets...but that can get expensive so it's usually only on special occasions - like holidays...or if it goes on sale. I've made scallops before, so good, but also expensive. I also want to stay relatively healthy. It's ok to go off the reservation and eat what I want once in a while, but I should not be doing it as much as I have been lately. Sooo...here's what I've been eating lately... Chicken fajitas I feel like there must be a veggie missing from this plate... Chicken fajitas take two Happy Mother...

Rock n Roll Dallas recap

We arrived in late Dallas Friday afternoon. When we had left Houston, it was a balmy 87 and four hours later when we stepped out of the car in Dallas is was 53! Talk about a temperature drop. Saturday we went over to expo to get registered and pick up our bibs. The expo was pretty cool, lots to look at, but it took a hot minute to figure out how to get out of there which maybe was the point. By the time we went to dinner on Saturday everybody was a little concerned about the weather for Sunday's race.  They were saying it was supposed to be about 41 at the start with winds at 25-30 miles per hour and gusting to 45mph! E and A wanted to wear long sleeves while K was still talking about running in a singlet. I was on the fence. I didn't have any throw away clothes with me so if I wore a long sleeve top I would have to keep it on the whole time. In the end I stuck with my normal short sleeves and gloves. Sleep Saturday night was fitful and by the time the alarm went off I w...