Skip to main content

Rock n Roll Dallas recap

We arrived in late Dallas Friday afternoon. When we had left Houston, it was a balmy 87 and four hours later when we stepped out of the car in Dallas is was 53! Talk about a temperature drop.

Saturday we went over to expo to get registered and pick up our bibs. The expo was pretty cool, lots to look at, but it took a hot minute to figure out how to get out of there which maybe was the point.

By the time we went to dinner on Saturday everybody was a little concerned about the weather for Sunday's race.  They were saying it was supposed to be about 41 at the start with winds at 25-30 miles per hour and gusting to 45mph! E and A wanted to wear long sleeves while K was still talking about running in a singlet. I was on the fence. I didn't have any throw away clothes with me so if I wore a long sleeve top I would have to keep it on the whole time. In the end I stuck with my normal short sleeves and gloves.
Sleep Saturday night was fitful and by the time the alarm went off I was already awake. Since the race wasn't until 8:00am, we didn't get up until 6:00am. K's friend called just before 7:00 wanting to use our bathroom and when she got up to our room she looked like she was dressed for winter and frozen to the bone. She told us to wait inside as long as possible, but we had to check our gear so we left around 7:10. Luckily we had access to the VIP tent which was right next to the corrals and had those outdoor heaters!

We even waited a few minutes after the gun went off before jumping into a corral. Inching closer to the start, I noticed I couldn't feel my toes! Awesome. We finally crossed the start line and once we got out on the road, boy was it windy. I think we lost A and K somewhere around mile 1. E and I were unusually quiet. We, or at least me, are normally quite chatty during our runs. But it was just too cold. Finally around mile 5 I was able to feel my toes again. But it wasn't until mile 8, right after I lost E, that I actually broke into a little bit of a sweat.

As I got to miles 9, 10 and 11 I just tried to focus on not slowing down. I never even saw the mile marker for 12. I thought it was the longest mile of my life until I looked at my watch and noticed I was already at 12.4. The race finished at the fairgrounds and, finally, once we entered the park there was actually a tailwind. I held on just long enough to finish under 2:10. My official time was 2:09:41.
 
 

I have no idea what race I'm running next. But I would like to really train for one and see if I can set a PR at the next one.


Comments

  1. wow, congrats on finishing such a cold, cold race!! I would love to do a Rock n Roll marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I would def recommend it, Rock n Roll was fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f...

Foodie recap

I love to cook. And I love to cook for other people. I may not stray too far on my menu, ok people have said I cook way too much salmon, but at least I mix up the recipes some times? All right, so I probably eat salmon 3-5 nights a week and when I'm not eating salmon I'm eating Mexican. This is Texas. But I should branch out every once in a while. I need some new dishes. Who has suggestions? Everyone once in a while, we make filets...but that can get expensive so it's usually only on special occasions - like holidays...or if it goes on sale. I've made scallops before, so good, but also expensive. I also want to stay relatively healthy. It's ok to go off the reservation and eat what I want once in a while, but I should not be doing it as much as I have been lately. Sooo...here's what I've been eating lately... Chicken fajitas I feel like there must be a veggie missing from this plate... Chicken fajitas take two Happy Mother...