Skip to main content

On another planet

I'm back in Texas after a nice long weekend in Chicago. I got back Sunday night actually. And I'm really glad I took the trip. It kept me so busy I didn't have time to think. For the most part anyway.

Friday was the elite athlete press conference for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon, followed by round table sessions with different athletes throughout the rest of the day. My main job was coralling all the athletes and making sure they were all where they were supposed to be. We usually call this herding cats. Friday night my work hosted a pizza party at Geno's East. I know this should mean something to me, the original home of Chicago's deep dish pizza or something, but it doesn't. I did like the food though.

Saturday morning we had a start and finish line walk through with their broadcast partner. Followed by more round table sessions. At four o'clock they held their Technical Meeting. That's when all of the elite athletes and their coaches/managers get all the details for the race the next day. I played gate keeper with another volunteer to make sure that no one got in who wasn't supposed to be there. There was another cocktail function to go to Saturday night, but I just made a brief appearance and then headed back to the hotel for bed. This, however, is where I spoke with the two HPD officers who had come along for the trip with us and they told me I shouldn't be living in my apartment complex. The neighborhood is too bad.

My alarm was set Sunday morning for 3:45am. I built in a snooze or two, but was ready to go downstairs at 4:30am. We headed over to the start line and waited for, first, the elite athletes to be dropped off and then the media. Their set up is amazing. So large. Once the race got off we hightailed it over to the finish line where I was responsible for calling in the official finishing times of the winners to the media center. And what amazing times they were. Dennis Kimetto, who had only been running for three years, won the men's elite race in 2:03:45!! Only 22 seconds off the world record. And the women's race was won by last year's runner-up Rita Jeptoo in 2:19:57. Ridiculous. I went with the winners later to their press conference and then helped her the other athletes who were speaking with the media, finally leaving the media center around 1:30pm with just enough time to pack and check out of the hotel by 2pm.

Who gave Erin the super deluxe golf cart?
When I finally got back to Houston, one of my coworkers took my to the office where I had left my car and kindly offered to follow me all the way home. I thought that was super nice of her, but said no. Bc then she would have had to leave alone. And she has a nice new shiny car. No point in that. But let me tell you. The anxiety I had going on the whole way home. Not fun. I didn't sleep well even though I was exhausted. And then all day yesterday I was in a fog. I don't know if I was just tired, or if it was the reality setting in of what happened to me last week or both. But I felt like I was on another planet all day. But I had a meeting scheduled with my Ambassadors for Monday night, so I had to be there. And they were awesome. It was great to finally meet them. But after the meeting and a quick stop at Target, I was driving home in the dark again. Where I missed my exit on purpose so I could find a way around the train tracks.

I've only lived in this place for six weeks. And the idea of moving again is abhorrent. But if driving there is going to give me anxiety and sleeping is difficult, what do I do?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f...

Foodie recap

I love to cook. And I love to cook for other people. I may not stray too far on my menu, ok people have said I cook way too much salmon, but at least I mix up the recipes some times? All right, so I probably eat salmon 3-5 nights a week and when I'm not eating salmon I'm eating Mexican. This is Texas. But I should branch out every once in a while. I need some new dishes. Who has suggestions? Everyone once in a while, we make filets...but that can get expensive so it's usually only on special occasions - like holidays...or if it goes on sale. I've made scallops before, so good, but also expensive. I also want to stay relatively healthy. It's ok to go off the reservation and eat what I want once in a while, but I should not be doing it as much as I have been lately. Sooo...here's what I've been eating lately... Chicken fajitas I feel like there must be a veggie missing from this plate... Chicken fajitas take two Happy Mother...

Rock n Roll Dallas recap

We arrived in late Dallas Friday afternoon. When we had left Houston, it was a balmy 87 and four hours later when we stepped out of the car in Dallas is was 53! Talk about a temperature drop. Saturday we went over to expo to get registered and pick up our bibs. The expo was pretty cool, lots to look at, but it took a hot minute to figure out how to get out of there which maybe was the point. By the time we went to dinner on Saturday everybody was a little concerned about the weather for Sunday's race.  They were saying it was supposed to be about 41 at the start with winds at 25-30 miles per hour and gusting to 45mph! E and A wanted to wear long sleeves while K was still talking about running in a singlet. I was on the fence. I didn't have any throw away clothes with me so if I wore a long sleeve top I would have to keep it on the whole time. In the end I stuck with my normal short sleeves and gloves. Sleep Saturday night was fitful and by the time the alarm went off I w...