Skip to main content

Hurricane survival kit

Time to change the subject. I can't think about insurance and robbery and people invading my privacy anymore.

SO...hurricanes. I got luck last year that there were no hurricanes after I moved to Texas. But I will never forget coming in from the airport for my interview and seeing the highway sign that said "It's hurricane season. Be prepared." Umm. what?

The girls at work tell me that once hurricane season starts I should never have less than half a tank of gas. I try to always keep a case of water in the house. I should prob have more non-perishable food int he house too.

The Weather Channel says my hurricane survival kit should include:

  • At least a 3-day and preferably a 7-day supply of water (one gallon per person per day)
  • Non-perishable food
  • Manual can opener
  • First aid kit
  • Prescription and non-prescription medicines
  • Toiletries
  • Cell phones and battery-powered cell phone chargers
  • Battery-powered radios and flashlights
  • Plenty of batteries
  • Extra cash
  • Blankets, sleeping bags, books, and games (especially if evacuating)
Here's what my current hurricane kit looks like so far: 

Comments

  1. Love that you added a bottle of wine and a bottle opener. So essential in tough times. People are crazy during emergencies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend

I love weekends. I wish they were longer...doesn't everybody? It was quite the lazy weekend too, being that it was so hot out. I ran Sunday...kind of. It was so hot, I hadn't had enough water, or food for that matter, so I cut my run short. And then we opted to eat out instead of cooking. I really need to cook this week. And maybe not drink. Except I have half a bottle of red left over from last night's Bachelorette finale fiesta with E.  Monday. Oh Monday. Cancelled my run once again when the car told me it was 102 outside. Can't wait to be able to run in the mornings. Last night was the Bachelorette season finale so E came over for dinner and some wine. I now love sweet potatoes and I may have had a little too much to drink. And then decided it was a good time to update my iOS on my iphone. I'm still trying to get my phone back to where it should be. It made me do a complete restore, then I couldn't restore from a current backup and when I was f...

Rock n Roll Dallas recap

We arrived in late Dallas Friday afternoon. When we had left Houston, it was a balmy 87 and four hours later when we stepped out of the car in Dallas is was 53! Talk about a temperature drop. Saturday we went over to expo to get registered and pick up our bibs. The expo was pretty cool, lots to look at, but it took a hot minute to figure out how to get out of there which maybe was the point. By the time we went to dinner on Saturday everybody was a little concerned about the weather for Sunday's race.  They were saying it was supposed to be about 41 at the start with winds at 25-30 miles per hour and gusting to 45mph! E and A wanted to wear long sleeves while K was still talking about running in a singlet. I was on the fence. I didn't have any throw away clothes with me so if I wore a long sleeve top I would have to keep it on the whole time. In the end I stuck with my normal short sleeves and gloves. Sleep Saturday night was fitful and by the time the alarm went off I w...

Insurance process

Ok, so who has ever had their place broken into? First I filed the police report. Then after I actually had a handle on what really was missing I amended the police report. I gathered all of the documentation I could find for the things that were missing - it's amazing how often I just throw away the receipts - and sent that along with an itemized list to the insurance company. Now what? How long will this take? The one guy I spoke to said that they have 15 days to process the claim, but that it usually gets done sooner. Will I hear from them in the meantime? I called my new apartment complex yesterday. I am supposed to be moving on August 31 but naturally I want to get out of here as soon as possible. They told me the current tenant moves out on the 19th and that they may be able to get me in that weekend - the 24th or 25th. They were going to check on a few things and let me know. That would be fantastic. I'm not necessarily afraid to be in my current apartment. But I...